Everything You Need to Know Before Your First Brazilian Wax
Grooming your body hair is a completely personal preference. You can shave, invest in laser hair removal, electrolysis, or waxing. If you’re curious about the tidying your pubic hair and would like to learn more about waxing, we’re detailing everything you need to know about Brazilian waxes.
What is a Brazilian wax?
The Brazilian wax became popular in the 90s with countless pop culture references and women boasting the benefits during bikini season. A Brazilian wax is a hair removal service that gets rid of all of your pubic hair in the genital region. Although some choose to keep a small strip of hair in the shape of a strip, oval or triangle.
What’s the difference between a bikini wax and a Brazilian wax?
A bikini wax only removes hairs from the skin on areas that would be visible when wearing a bikini bottom. The Brazilian wax removes all hairs from your genital regions including hair removal from the pubic bone, perineum and the anus.
How to prepare for your first appointment.
While each practitioner will advise differently, there are a few rules to improve your waxing experience.
- Whether you’re getting a bikini wax or a Brazilian wax is to avoid shaving. The hair that is going to be waxed needs to be at least 1/4 - 1/2 an inch long.
- Exfoliate the area 24-48 hours before the appointment to remove dead skin and prevent ingrown hairs.
- Avoid UV exposure at least 24 hours before the appointment. If you have any sun damage, consider rebooking your appointment.
- Limit alcohol and caffeine before your appointment.
- Consult with your practitioner about taking an over-the-counter pain reliever before your appointment.
- If you are taking any prescriptions or applying topical medicine of any kind, consult your physician and practitioner prior to your service.
How to care for the skin after a Brazilian Wax:
- Wear loose clothing and breathable undergarments.
- If showering directly after, avoid hot water and skin scrubs.
- Avoid high-impact workouts, tanning. or sexual activity at least 24 hours post-waxing to avoid irritation.
How long does a Brazilian wax last?
Everyone will experience a different rate of hair growth. However, in most cases, a Brazilian wax lasts about 3-4 weeks.
How to know if a Brazilian Wax is the right choice for you:
Unlike laser or electrolysis, waxing is a temporary hair removal option. It is one of the least irritating forms of hair removal for the skin and often you’ll notice the hair grows back softer and thinner, making grooming in between more manageable.
Risks with Brazilian Waxing
Depending on the sensitivity of your skin, you can experience redness, bumps, itching or discoloration. Topical treatments specifically designed for the genital region can be applied to cut down on the impact of this.
Can you get waxed if you’re on your period?
Yes, it is possible to get waxed while on your period. However, your skin can potentially be more sensitive during this time. If you decide to get a wax while on your period, use a tampon or menstrual cup to ensure there is no blood present during the process.
AVAILABLE NOW: PURCHASE TICKETS TO AMERICA’S BEAUTY SHOW 2023
Get your tickets to America’s Beauty Show 2023 HERE and follow along on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/CosmetologistsChicago and Instagram https://www.instagram.com/americasbeautyshow/ for daily inspiration and education for the upcoming show!
FREE SHIPPING ON ORDERS OVER $99
You don't have to wait for the next show, shop your favorite brands now!Create an account today