What To Keep in Your Bridal Kit
Every bride has a vision about what their perfect wedding day looks like. Whether you’re creating their hair or makeup — as a professional beauty expert, you’ll likely play a big role in their finished look. While makeup artists are accustomed to keeping their kit handy for set work, if you’re a stylist who often works in the salon a "bridal kit” could be brand new territory for you. Depending on the hairstyle you’ll create and the packages you offer, creating a few travel-friendly kits are key to a seamless day. Need a little advice? Keep reading for a few of our favorite tips about what to keep in your bridal kits!
Working kits are the key component to the results achieved on any booking. When working in the bridal industry, stylists often move between multiple clients and are typically working on location, which means that there is no designated sanitation area. Therefore, maximizing the organization of your kit is just as important as what’s in the kit itself.
To keep your tools safe and organized, consider buying large mesh zipper pouches and organize by type of tool. Additionally, always have Barbicide wipes handy to wipe down tools in between clients.
- Curling Irons: Stock your kit with curling irons in 3-4 various sizes from a pin iron to a 2-inch with and without clamps. This will help you accomplish most curl techniques.
- Flat Iron: A standard smoothing iron is great to keep on hand for smooth styles or touch ups around the hair line. Consider including a mini iron for pixies, baby hairs and men’s grooming.
- Hair Dryers: Always bring your favorite full-size professional blow-dryer as well as a travel-sized version of your favorite pro dryer as backup.
- Hot Rollers: These are a great tool for max volume and hold, and to achieve specific styles.
- Power Strip + Extension Cord: During the consultation it is a great idea to find out beforehand what type of environment you’ll be working. However, many times locations can change at the last minute, which is why you should always pack your own power strip and extension cord.
- Extra Masks: You can never have too many masks on hand to ensure proper protection while in group environments. It’s always a great idea to keep a box of disposable masks in your kit to offer to the wedding party if needed.
Brushes, combs, and clips:
Consider keeping multiples of each brush and storing them in hard plastic containers to avoid ruining the bristles during transportation.
Go-to brushes include:
- Detangling brush
- Boar or faux boar bristle brush for dressing hair
- Round brushes ranging from XS to XL
- Teasing comb
- Sectioning combs
Bobbies, buns, and specialty items:
What really sets apart a bridal artist from an artist who occasionally does bridal are the extras in their kits that go above and beyond. The bobbies in all colors, shapes, and sizes.
Don’t leave the salon without:
- Bobbies, hairpins, and rubber bands in all shapes, colors, and sizes organized in a storage bin for easy access.
- Velcro Rollers - these may not be a kit staple for most, but for bridal they are paramount.
- Hair forms (also known as stuffing or donuts) in various sizes and colors.
- A sewing kit with black, brown, and beige thread - to keep hairstyles in place and securing flowers or heavy accessories.
- A few hair accessories! Investing in a small amount of hair accessories that a bride or bridesmaid may need last minute can increase your service charge and save the day.
- Sanitization Supplies - In addition to your SMA setup, be sure to pack extra hand sanitizer, face masks, and gloves for an enhanced clean setup.
Touch Up Kit
Once you’ve completed your look and placed the vail it’s time to pack up. Sometimes, brides ask their stylists to stick around for touch-ups, which you can offer at an hourly rate, however not all brides find that necessary or have it in their budget. To ensure their style stays in place all day add a bridal touch up kit to for your brides.
A bridal kit should cover any hair related needs that may come up throughout the event. Depending on your pricing you can choose to charge extra or include the kit in the total cost.
What we recommend:
- A small reusable tote and a thank you note for being part of their day.
- Travel-sized hairspray for flyaways while dancing the night away.
- A small selection of bobby pins for possible changes after the ceremony.
- Travel-sized tissues, Advil, a toothbrush, and Q-tips.
- For brides that also had their makeup done, consider makeup wipes, blotting paper, and a sample lip color or powder puff.
- If you want to add a few extras, consider a few day after goodies like a travel-sized deep conditioner and a soothing face mask to give your brides an extra special treat.
AVAILABLE NOW: TICKETS TO AMERICA’S BEAUTY SHOW 2022
FREE SHIPPING ON ORDERS OVER $99
You don't have to wait for the next show, shop your favorite brands now!Create an account today