How To Clean Your Makeup Brushes
While adding another detail to your makeup routine might feel near impossible, cleaning your brushes is an important step to improve your makeup application as well as the health of your skin. Over time makeup brushes can harbor bacteria, buildup and residue that are harmful to your skin and impact the efficacy of your brushes. We’re showing you the steps to clean your makeup brushes whether you’ve invested in a makeup cleaner or want to use everyday items you already have in your home.
How To Clean Makeup Brushes 101:
How Often Should I Clean My Makeup Brushes?
While everyone’s routine will be slightly different, aim to clean your makeup brushes every 7 to 10 days. I you use them daily, aim to do this more often. The reason for this frequency is to prevent the buildup of bacteria and makeup residue. When this happens it can clog the bristles and irritate your skin.
The Steps To Clean Your Makeup Brushes
- Begin by running the tips of your makeup brushes under warm water to remove residue. Be mindful not to submerge your entire brush as this can cause the glue that holds the bristles together to dissolve and it can be harder to dry the brush head, which can cause mold or mildew.
- Fill a bowl with water and a moisturizing or clarifying shampoo, or a professional brush cleaner so the bristles don’t dry out, and dip each brush in the bowl.
- Then, gently rub the brush under running water to remove the residue. You can even use the palm of your hand and rotate the brush around to work the make up out of the bristles.
- Rinse with warm water until the water runs clear and and lightly squeeze water out from the base when done with a paper towel.
- Lay out on a clean paper towel to dry.
If this is too challenging to fit into your morning routine, consider adding it to your nighttime cleansing ritual about once a week. These steps can help you keep your makeup brushes and your skin clean and healthy.
America's Beauty Show 2024 - SAVE THE DATE!
FREE SHIPPING ON ORDERS OVER $99
You don't have to wait for the next show, shop your favorite brands now!Create an account today